Tuesday 4 October 2011

Log Entry 5

Today during rounds I saw patients with Malaria, Typhoid, and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome to name a few. One good thing about this rotation is that we get to see medical conditions that we aren't normally exposed to. Another thing is that after rounds I spent a few hours in the laboratory learning about and conducting various tests. I got to type and cross blood for surgery, I saw malaria under the microscope, tested for HIV, hepatitis B and C, and tested for fungal infections in blood samples. These are tests that clinicians normally just send out to be conducted and I think it is becoming a lost art amongst clinicians.

The very helpful Nora, who taught me many things in lab today.


Tobias, a kind staff member who donated blood today because the blood bank was empty and a patient needed to have surgery.


This is after mixing a patient's serum with potential donor blood. This blood is safe to transfuse to the patient if necessary. FYI: it is difficult to take a picture of a microscope image with an I-phone.


Alfred. A very knowledgeable and patient man who also taught me many things today, including what malaria parasites look like under the microscope.

No comments:

Post a Comment